The main objective of the Code Compliance Department is to maintain and increase the safety and quality of life that all Village of Biscayne Park residents are entitled to. The Code process is the venue by which this goal is achieved.
Should you wish to make an appointment with our code officer, or have a general question or concern, please call 305 899 8000, Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below you will find answers to the most commonly asked questions regarding code enforcement.
Property Maintenance Guide
In an effort to maintain, improve, and bring all properties up to code, the following is a checklist of regular property maintenance and our eight (8) most violated codes.
Please help us to maintain the beauty and property values of the Village by keeping in compliance. Call Village Hall at 305-899-8000 with any inquiries or violation reports.
PROPERTY CHECK LIST
Repair rotted wood, broken or missing boards, broken windows and or screens, siding, or shingles and make all exterior parts weather tight, rodent proof and sound proof. Exteriors must be resistant to water and be covered with paint, siding, brick or stone that is in good condition.
- Roof parts including rafters
- Soffits, fascia
- Roof covering
- Railings on stairs, elevated landings, and porches
- Fences (must be in good repair and of legal height)
- Windows and screens
Make certain to properly dispose of construction and remodeling debris.
Take action to correct any violation. If you have questions, or if you are working on correcting the violation, but need more time due to special circumstances, please call Code Enforcement.
If you cannot afford to repair or maintain your property due to a special circumstance please call Village Hall. Help may be available
8 MOST VIOLATED CODES
- Grass that is in excess of 8" is in violation and will be cited.
- Trim all hedges to a height of three feet or less in front yard and six feet or less in the rear yard. All bare areas of yard must be sodded or landscaped.
- Driveways must be in good repair.
- All vehicles must be parked on the driveway and not on the lawn.
- Garage sales are permitted two consecutive days, twice per calendar year, during weekends only. 9am to 5pm. A permit is required and must be obtained prior to the event. Cost is $15.00.
- Signs advertising garage sales are NOT ALLOWED on medians, stop signs, street signs, utility poles, trees, etc; or on any public property.
Contact the Building Department at (305) 899-8000 ext 203 to obtain permit.
- It is the property owner's responsibility whether absentee or residing on the property to adhere and maintain all codes
- Public Property: All vehicles must be registered, operable and display a current tag. No commercial vehicles allowed in public right of way, except when loading and unloading.
- Private property: All vehicles must be in operable condition or be covered with a proper car cover that is to be kept in good condition.
- Oversized vehicles: Village code does not allow the parking or storage of commercial vehicles of one (1) ton or over in residential areas.
GARBAGE, TRASH AND YARD WASTE
- Residential garbage includes most small kitchen, food and household discards and is picked up twice per week.
- Trash includes mostly yard trimmings. Pick up is once per week.
- Special Pick Up is a call in service (at an additional charge) of bulk items i.e. furniture, appliances mattresses.
- For SPECIAL PICK UP call the Village of Biscayne Park Public Works Department at 305-893-4346 to schedule this service.
- Paint or other water resistant treatment is required on the exterior of structures
- Approved brick or stone siding that is well maintained and water resistant is also allowed
- A permit is required for painting. Call 305-899-8000 ext 203 for information regarding paint permits
- Outdoor storage is prohibited. Any equipment, materials, or furnishings that are used indoors cannot be stored outside
- You may not keep indoor furniture, household appliances, auto parts, or building materials outside
- You may store barbeque grills, lawn furniture, garden hoses, and outdoor play equipment for children
- Storage sheds are allowed to a maximum of 100 square feet. A permit is required to install a shed.
- Portable storage units (PODS) are allowed on a property for a maximum of 14 days. You are required to obtain a permit which notifies the Village of the unit and the date that it must be removed. Please visit Village Hall to obtain the permit prior to obtaining the storage unit.
The Code Compliance Process
The Code Compliance process is meant to encourage pride of ownership and provide a baseline for maintaining the charm of our village. Here are the basics of how the system works:
Courtesy notice – a door hanger telling you of an existing violation, date to comply, contact telephone number and name of Code Officer for any questions you may have, or to request an extension.
Citation - if the violation is not corrected within the allotted time, a citation is sent via certified and regular mail. A copy of the citation is also posted at the property.
Notice of Administrative Hearing – The property owner that has been issued a citation can request to be heard before the Code Enforcement Board. Or you may receive the Administrative Hearing notice if the violation has not been corrected or the fine not paid. You have the opportunity and the right to have your case heard before the Code Hearing Board. The Board makes the final decision as to the outcome of the case and not the Code Enforcement Officer.
Order of Enforcement – Code Hearing Board members make their findings and sign this document. A copy is sent via mail to the property owner.
Affidavit of Compliance/Non-Compliance – this is the final step before the case goes into the lien process. At which time it will be deferred to the Clerk's office for municipal lien recording.
The Code Enforcement Department also serves as the citation arm of the Building Department. When a resident begins or has done any type of construction without permits, or a construction job has been abandoned, the Code Enforcement Department has the duty to a) stop the job in progress and place a Red Tag notice, b) cite the property owner and c) do both as may be needed.
The following situations are not generated by the Code Enforcement Department:
Special Service Invoice – Public Works Department - these are generated by the Public Works Department for special pick-ups/ trash billing. Please call Public Works at 305-893-4346 with any concerns.
Planning and Zoning Advisory Board – This Board reviews all permit applications relating to the aesthetics of paint, remodeling, fences, new construction and any other building issues to assure compliance with the Code of Ordinance of the Village. The Code Enforcement Department does not make any decisions regarding Planning and Zoning issues.
If you have any questions regarding the Code Enforcement Department or the Code Enforcement process please feel free to call 305-899-8000, e-mail at email@example.com.